Sunday, May 11, 2008

What a way to end the weekend.

Avra, Duncan and I set out for Danielle's (the woman Avra has been working with) around 10 a.m. The plan was to spend the day at the pool, hopefully get a nice little lunch in, and head back in time for me to play basketball and Duncan to watch the Lakers. It did not go exactly according to plan.

We did get to the pool at prime sunlight time and spend about two hours lying out and reading before the storm came. As usual, the storm snuck up on us and we took cover outside the house. Minutes later Danielle, Daniel (her husband), and his mother returned with food for the afternoon lunch. It was probably around 2 p.m. when we got everything settled in the kitchen and began cooking. We started by making a huge feta salad. In the mean time, Daniel was cooking mushrooms and onions into an amazing smelling blend. The real cooking, though, was focused of producing little pieces of French baguettes (of which we had 6) with different topping. Some of these little pieces of heaven had seasoned eggplant, some tuna, some blue cheese and walnuts, and some with a bean and garlic mixture. All were amazing. Thinking these were going to be the main course and knowing that there was company on the way, Avra and I did our best to sneak as many as possible.

It was only later- after several successful sneak-trips- that we realized that dinner would actually be a mounding plate of pasta and a smaller bowl of different pasta. Two of the neighboring families had come over and the company was awesome. We sat talking and eating for hours and it was 7 p.m. before I knew it. I have not been so uncomfortably full since Thanksgiving and thought I would pass out if I didn't get home soon.

When I did get home, though, I found it hard to rest by reading Harry Potter. I am just finishing book 5 and it is rather intense. I am sorry to anyone whom I have ever said that it was not good; I can't keep my mind off of it.

Don't think that I forgot the most important part of the day either! Happy Mother's Day to all! Don't worry, I toasted my own at dinner, but I hope everyone else had a very special day.

Tomorrow is yet another day which is bound to be full of new and amazing things. My third month in Ghana has ended quite spectacularly and I can only imagine what my last month holds!

No comments: