Friday, February 15, 2008

I didn't remember packing my stress in my bags...

So, anyone of my good friends and family should enjoy this story. Yesterday I went to the 5 a.m. training for soccer, registered for my classes (which went a lot better than expected) and grabbed lunch. It was not until then that I found out that the soccer tournament would be for 10 days- not 5 like I had thought. So, in my normal fashion, I began to stress out. I knew that such an opportunity may not arise again, but I really didn't feel comfortable taking a 10 day trip when I had only been here for 8, with people I did not know. Also, I would be missing the first 10 days of class and the northern part of the country can be very overwhelming. I proceeded to spend the rest of the afternoon trying to decide whether or not to go. I made pros and cons lists, and even considered flipping a coin. In the end, I decided that the stress of it all was not worth it so I will not be going with the team.
On the up side, a group of 25 of us went to a bar last night to listen to a live band (which consisted of a very old man singing love songs). We had a blast and we are finally getting to know each other better. It will be nice to have other friends outside of our Elon group. This morning we had a short orientation (pretty boring and routine) and then finished signing up for classes. The power was out all day (a normal occurrence here) so Avra, Duncan (a student from the college of Charleston), and I went to the mall to get mosquito nets and other small supplies. I treated myself to the luxury of an ice cream and now I am testing out the new internet cafe in my dorm. It costs about a dollar for an hour of internet, which may not seem bad, but man is it slow!
I have signed up for 7 classes, but plan on only taking 3 and auditing 2. The three classes will fulfill some requirements at Elon and the 2 audits will be intro. to African dancing and drumming. It will probably be some sight to see in those two classes, which I have heard they are mostly obrunis (what they call white people here).
I don't think I mentioned the obruni thing. You can be walking on the streets and people will shout it to you and expect you to respond. They also like to hiss a little bit to get your attention. I have embraced the name calling but the hissing is not my favorite. Dennishas also been teaching us the words to respond to them by calling them funny names. I'm not quite comfortable with that yet either. I am sure I will become more comfortable as the days go on....more tomorrow.

3 comments:

Joan Temple said...

Promise we'll be able to see you do an African dance?

Laura B said...

haha jenna--too bad i wasnt there to tell you to stop stressing, eat some ice cream and candy and go play soccer, duhh.
and i'm with your mom, i wanna see some african dance moves when you get home
poopah, i wish i was there so bad!

mimi weisberg said...

Jenna, So glad you and Avra are having bonding experiences. Keep taking care of yourself and eachother. Best of wishes, Mimi Weisberg