Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Did I dream that?

This morning at approximately 4 a.m. my roommate woke me up and asked if I would walk her out. She was dressed in her Sunday best and said she was going to some church thing. I wish I could be more descriptive than "some church thing", but at 4 a.m. all I could really register was that it really was 4 a.m. So I unconsciously walked Vera downstairs and out the door and to the dorm next door. Then I walked back to my room and went back to sleep. I woke up for real at 9:30 a.m. and realized that Vera was asleep in the bed too. I have yet to be able to talk to her about the whole situation, but I am sure that it happened because I distinctly remember thinking it was way too hot and sticky for 4 in the morning. I believe the whole point was so that she did not have to walk by herself- there is a security guard outside and I think she just wanted me to walk here there. I think. Ghana is crazy...

I had a normal day of class today and then spent a few hours at the orphanage. The kids there are great, but boy do they tire you out. I played soccer for quite some time with a few of the older boys. I was mystified at how good one little boy was. Granted I could not play him very tough because he was not wearing shoes, but I am confident he would have pounded me into the ground if I was. Tell brought marbles for all the kids and I helped one older girl with her homework. It is nice to have a place to go and feel accomplished whenever I have extra time.

Happy birthday Seth! I am planning a trip for this weekend and have yet to decide whether I am leaving tomorrow or the next day, but be prepared for a few days without a blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About how old are the kids at the orphanage, and what are their living conditions like? xoxo

Jenna Temple said...

Hey Jen-
The kids at the orphanage range from a few months old to 18 years, but the oldest boy there now is only 16. The orphanage has only been open for 5 years so there are more younger kids. As far as the living conditions go, they are not as bad as I would have thought. The place is obviously small and they are sleeping in rooms with several bunk beds filling it, but it is relatively clean and the children seem really happy.