I was supposed to travel this weekend. There was no classes this Thursday or Friday because of Independence Day so I thought a 4 day trip would be great. When the opportunity to go to the big celebration with a Ghanaian friend I could not turn it down. Also, I was asked to play with a pick-up soccer team at the Liberian refugee camp on Saturday. So, to say the least, I was bummed I couldn't go away and was already dreading a boring Friday. Now, though, I do not think that will be an issue. This morning Ato took Tell and Avra and I to the Independence day celebration. We were sitting rather close and got to wave to the president and watch the traditional african dancers perform. The whole event was like a very large Memorial Day parade- there were military personal, cannons, and music. They even played When the Saints Go Marching In. After we left Independence Square (where the whole thing was held) we went a few min. down the road to the International Trade Fair. This was a fair running for the past week full of Ghanaian market sellers and amazing food. I picked up several gifts and have one awesome meal (not to mention, the best ice cream yet). Later, Stephanie and Michelle (two other international students) invited me along to an orphanage they have been visiting. I spent around 3 hours visiting with the 75 children at Peace and Love. I have already fallen in love with several of the children and now plan to spend my entire day there tomorrow. I think this may actually cause an issue with my studying because all I can think about is those children. I also took several awesome pictures I will load sometime this weekend. There is definitely more to come on this topic. The emotions I felt there were rather hard to put into words, though, so you may have to bare with me.
It just finished raining for the first time here. I was in my room when I started to hear it, and went on the porch to watch the drizzle. Then, before I could blink, it started to seriously pour. I went outside to check it out, but the wind was blowing trash cans around and the trees looked as if they would break. The whole thing lasted about 20 min. and is now over. This should be interesting...
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment