Ok. So, I believe I may have mentioned this before but, if not, I will tell you that everything here is dirty. Most of the paths are just dirt and because it is not yet dry season the dust gets on everything. Clothes and legs are constantly dirty. Ghanaians, though, are not. Somehow all the Ghanaian students, in their dressy lecture clothes, keep their shoes as white as if they first bought them. International students do not. We don't care to change our clothes during the day if they are just going to get dirty again. Also, many of my white t-shirts are permanently dirty- even though I put them in the real wash.
I was wearing one of these perpetually dirty shirts this afternoon in my geography class because I figured I was going to be stared at anyways and who was I really trying to impress? Apparently people notice- or, at least, Festus (my geography stalker) did. When he came to say hello he leaned in close and informed me that my shirt was dirty. My response, "yup." I think this place might be making me callus...
Another observation in geography came when I was talking to a student about the preacher before class. She said that having someone preach before class was normal and that it was their call from god to spread his word. I told her all about how that would not even be accepted in the U.S. and we had a nice discussion about religion that essentially led me to believe that they only believe in Christianity. She said that she would respect other religions but only marry a Christian and follow all the words of the bible. I wish I could do a better job of restating what actually happened but I thought it was interesting.
Overview of the day: Went to dance class, made oatmeal with bananas with Avra, actually studied for a bit and read my book, made salad and smoothies with Avra, studied/played on the computer, watched some basketball (we are holding the University games here and all the colleges in West Africa are coming in the next 2 weeks to play all these sports. I have yet to see a basketball team that could actually play and truly believe every team I have ever played for could win the entire thing- men's bracket included. Sorry Dad- looks like there are no UConn stars here), went to my geography class (which was cancelled...again. We have has 3 classes, 2 cancelled classes, and only have 7 remaining!), had some dinner at night market, and then hung out for a bit before going to bed.
Last night I stayed up talking with Vera and her friend NaNa. I showed them pictures from home and we shared stories. Vera is working on teaching me Twi and said she will try to go for a run with me. I truthfully don't think she even owns sneakers but I will try and get her hooked. If anyone can have Vera outside playing sports everyday it will be me. Maybe that was my mission in Ghana...just kidding.
P.S. I loaded 16 pictures this afternoon but plan to have all 40 or so up tomorrow. You can check out the few today but understand there are more coming!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Jenna~
Your Safari sounds really cool! What a wonderful experience...That's the part of your entire journey I would absolutely love... the animals in the wild!!
We missed you on Easter, did the usual "Temple" traditions at Grampa's. When I saw the sunrise that morning,I had you in my prayer's. You can be on the other side of the world but look at the same sun...pretty neat.( besides time changes) :>)
talk to you soon, I will continue to read the "Jenna Adventures"
What's my excuse for dirty shirts??
love & miss you
Aunt Kim
Post a Comment