Never did have that dance exam. It was a little dark when I first woke up, but by the time Tell and I sat down to breakfast (homemade rice with eggs and sugar mixed it- like a rice pudding) it was really dark. The wind began to pick up and we went out onto the balcony to watch as a huge storm took over campus. Weather travels fast and hard here. The rain usually blows you over but only lasts a few minutes. This was a real storm, though, with thunder and lightning. I could barely make it the three doors down to shut all my windows.
Most of the storm at cleared by the time we had to go to dance, but when we arrived they said it was cancelled. I guess there was some sort of auditions taking place and we didn't get the memo. It seems that obrunis never get the messages we are supposed to. I have been to several classes where is obvious to everyone but us that it was cancelled. We all secretly think they have a top-secret message board but that is just a myth.
Speaking of myths, as usual, my religion class had some stories to talk about. First of all, let me preface this by saying that the class is all freshman and probably 80% male. No offense, but this also means the maturity level is about half of what should be expected in a college lecture. The topic today was about myths and symbols, proverbs and sayings. Of course many boys shared some rather inappropriate and complete off-topic ideas, but some made a little sense. We spent the most time on a myth about the creation of human beings (very interesting in a society where religion plays such a large role in everyone's life). In the end the myth made a point to say that black people were most defiantly the first people created. I didn't have any opinion on the topic, nor did I want to contribute being the only white student there. As usual everyone stared at me, but I somehow got out of having to speak.
Another observation from the class reminded me of something I had wanted to write about. My teacher, in the middle of her lecture, picked her nose. Not like a secretive pick, a full out grab. This is common. Apparently, picking your nose isn't a big deal and everyone does it all the time. You can be speaking one-on-one with someone and they will have half their index finger up their nose. I personally think it is great, as long as they keep the results to themselves. I don't know exactly what this says about the culture or attitudes of the people but I thought it was interesting.
Better get to bed early. My dance exam is now tomorrow morning, bright and early. Try to wish me luck one more time...
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment