Monday, March 3, 2008

What I carry in my bag...

Keys- though I have already lost them several times, I usually toss them in the bottom of my bag
Tissues- if you are lucky enough to find a bathroom here it will not have toilet paper. Actually, even when we are out at a nice restaurant it is usually the highlight of the day to find TP.
Small towel- to wipe my sweat. Everyone doe sit here.
Phone- I do have a few friends, but generally I use it to pretend I am very interested in something on the screen when I am walking alone.
Money- though you don't generally need much of it here, I like to have a little in case I need a snack or something


Today was rather boring. I went to dance class and then changed really quick and went to religion. My religion class was interesting. We talked a lot about how the Europeans influenced African religion. Unfortunately, my teacher informed the class that it was a;sp the Europeans who caused their culture to diminish and introduced things such as rape. I was uncomfortable, to say the least, but she didn't dwell on it to long. Thanks goodness, or I may have had to actually speak up. Also, another cultural aspect I have noticed is that before several of my classes students will make announcements, usual about religion, and often ask the class to pray with them. It is very disruptive and I never really know when the things they are saying is important.

Oh! Here is a great cultural thing the international students have found- Ghanaians do not seem to care about sleep. My roommate, along with several other people's roommates, will have friends over, slam doors, and play music even if you are obviously asleep 5 feet away. At first this was quite the put=off but they do not seem to be offended when you do it back so I will just have to deal with it.

I think that is enough information for today. Hope all is well back home and at school or wherever you may be reading this. Feel free to leave comments. :)

2 comments:

mimi weisberg said...

Hi JENNA, Your blog is so descriptive and funny, I really appreciate your diligence with posting so often, thanks for that it suppliments Avra so well.

Keep smiling and plugging on,maybe we will have to bring you t.p. when we come!

Stay healthy and keep your great sense of humor. Mimi

Mr. Swallen said...

i am boycotting your blog until you write me an email.

in a yoda voice, I say "friend probation you are on".

cam