Sunday, March 9, 2008

Imagine bleacher seats for Yankees vs. Red Sox in the final World Series game…

Except…the entire stadium packed with Ghanaians, more yelling, and its soccer. In other words- heaven on earth. This was where I spent my afternoon watching the two biggest rival soccer teams in Ghana- Accra Hearts of Oak vs. Kumasi Asanti Kotoko Fabulous. I have never been in a country that loves soccer so much and when we arrived 2 and a half hours ahead of time, it was packed. We decided to root for Kumasi because they were the first flag we could get a hold of and they are Dennis’ favorite and he took us there (also because people would yell fabulous at us and it was funny). The game cost 4 cedis to get in, including a free soda. I should have spent a little extra on water, though, because we spent the next 5 hours roasting in the sun. I got a nice knee burn, but it was worth it to be among the huge crowd yelling for teams I really didn’t know. It was so rowdy that there were police in every section. Our policewoman only had to take out her tazer once (it was the biggest one I have ever seen- 4 prongs!) and she didn’t really use it. After the game is started to rain and we walked for a bit before we could get a tro-tro home. Now, because of the rain is has cooled down quite a bit and I got to wear a hooded sweatshirt! I am so happy. Another week of classes start tomorrow and I am already planning my next weekend’s trip.

Please comment on my blog. I miss all of you witty statements and I would love to hear any suggestions about my blog. Anything in particular anyone wants to hear?

1 comment:

Ciarlo said...

Sounds like you are doing something every minute. Watch out for those rowdy soccer crowds!! Jackie, Sam and I spent 12 hours at Central yesterday watching all 4 games. Sam was ready to kill herself during the S game. The team that knocked us out lost. Sam was happy, but the girl that had 18 against Sam only scored 4. Had a bad game. Against us she was super. What a devastating loss for us. We should have been in the finals. Sam is a wreck, hard on herself. Keep up the good work and stay safe. Ciarlo