I have just returned from a poetry reading. I know that may not sound exciting to some people, but it was amazing. Jesse has been going to a club in Osu for three weeks now where people gather to share poetry and insights every Wednesday night. The place was really small and the group was mostly Tell, Jesse, Amanda, Rachel and I, but we had great conversation about a lot of deeper topics that aren't normally discussed. Most people shared a little something, but I wasn't prepared- maybe next week?
Something else new- I played basketball today! I have seen several people playing but never girls and I am a bit shyer to jump right in here than normal. Duncan has wanted to play for quite some time, though, so I decided to join him today. I am definitely a little rusty, but we had a great game going for a bit. After about an hour of three-on-three we decided to play full court with subs whenever. Unfortunately, from here my experience went a little sour. An African man (not sure from exactly what country) started to really talk smack to me. He was constantly in my face with things like, "Come on baby, let's see what you've got" and if this didn't make me uncomfortable enough, he was constantly running into me and things. I noticed most of his attention was directed at me but I didn't know why- there were other girls playing and he only mildly bothered them. Not long into the game he actually started to push my shoulders and say things such as, "Show me what you've got. We’ve been here for awhile and you haven't shown me too much." His touch was actually rather rough and he was really pissing me off so I just walked off the court. Trust me, though, it took a lot for me not to punch him in the face. I was sad that such a thing had happened when I was really enjoying myself but more than that I was mortified that it had even happened. I have been playing sports among men for several years and never had such a problem. Ghana is probably the last place I would expect to be disrespected in such a way and I felt sorry for his teammates. Hopefully, next time we play he won't be there.
Nothing too exciting in between those events. The power went off last night so I woke up really hot and mad my fan wasn't on. I have actually started studying for some of my courses and I have an assignment! I think this will probably be my only one of the semester so I plan to do a good job. I can't believe how much I miss homework and regular schooling. Returning home and getting back into routines should be interesting...
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
you better believe if i was there i would have T'd him up and ended the game :)
From poetry reading to fending off rude men - what a day! Keep having fun, but be careful, my young adventurer! ~Mom
Jenna, you show wisdom beyond your years. Some behaviors simply don't deserve the diginity of your response. Walking away, while disappointing, was exactly the right thing to do. There be another day and another game.
Post a Comment